This chilli is so delicious and easy to make – it might be meat-free, but I don’t think you’ll feel like you’re missing out. It’s hearty, comforting and packed with flavour. It’s also perfect for batch cooking and putting in the freezer.
500g pack dried mixed beans (I like these from Waitrose)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 large red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled & coarsely grated
3 tbsp Italian Seasoning
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
4 tbsp tomato puree
3 tsp chipotle paste
2 tsp table salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the beans in plenty of cold water overnight. Drain and rinse well in lots of cold running water. Drain again.
- Warm the oil over a high heat then add the onion, pepper and carrot, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and mix well, then stir in the tomato puree and cook for 1 minute until starting to caramelise.
- Mix in the chipotle paste and the beans, then add 1 ½ litres boiling water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 2 hours, until thickened. Add the salt and pepper.
- Serve scattered with fresh coriander if you like and with boiled long grain rice, soured cream and guacamole. Lime wedges on the side to squeeze over are also good.